Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:18 pm 

I have had my custom Sport now for almost five years and it is a great bike. I ordered the Sport after getting back into cycling on a recumbent (yes I admit it). The Sport was a great reintroduction into road bikes. Super comfortable, stable and all of the things that the Sport has going for it.

Of late, I have been considering a Roadie...something a bit racier etc. I know the geometry is characterized as being more aggressive but what does that really mean when riding.

Is it stiffer and thus climb better than the Sport?

Is it stiffer and rides a bit harsher than the Sport?

I realize that with a shorter trail it will be quicker steering. But what other characteristics separate these two great bikes?

Thanks

Pat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:09 pm 

I'm sure someone could give you the technical explanation if you're looking for that but here's my two cents having owned a Roadie first for about 10 years and transitioning to a Sport. By the way, I just finished a 90 mile race today called Race The Lake in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin on my Sport. The main riding difference is actually quite simple. The Roadie has a smaller wheelbase and it's geometry puts your torso/head lower compared to the Sport. Now here's the interesting thing. When I did my first Race The Lake on my Roadie it was mostly with hands on the hoods and sporadically in the drops as holding that position for too long restricts air intake and is uncomfortable. Now on my Sport I find I'm in the drops most of the time and only go up to the hoods for a change of position, not because I'm uncomfortable. Consequently I find I'm a better racer as I'm much more comfortable and in a lower position in the drops on the Sport than on the hoods on the Roadie. Oh yah...I also have 28cm tires on the Sport which roll just as fast and are so much more comfortable. Translation...quicker and less jarring on these increasingly crappy roads. But if you have a serpentine young back or do criteriums where you need to do corner after corner with a shorter wheelbase...go with the Sport. It's the best kept secret in biking.