Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hyper-X questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:19 pm 

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Hyper-X, a couple of questions.

The site recommends a Whiskey fork, but also a Wound-up as well as the steel Gunnar fork. So I'm not sure which one to go with. I want to build as light as bike as possible to am leaning towards a carbon fork. Is there that much of a weight difference between the steel fork vs the two carbons? What's the differences between the Whiskey and Wound-Up?

As far as braking force on the fork, is one fork better then another?

I'm wanting to run as big of tires as possible so is tire clearance the same on the forks?

And what's the differences between the Fastlane and Hyper-X? My goal is to build an adventure bike for gravel roads, fire roads, and non technical single tracks. But I also want to run 25c's for street riding.

I'm going to my LBS Saturday to place the order. I've been going over different build options for months. Can't wait!

Peter

Post subject: Re: Hyper-X questions
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:59 pm 

The Hyper X is Gunnar's disk based competition cyclocross bike. The Fastlane is an all around disk based cyclocross adventure bike. The Hyper X has the lighter tubeset of the two frames... which makes it fast and nimble. The Fastlane has a beefier set of Gunnar's OS2 Air Hardening Steel tube set, so it is more suited to carry larger cyclists, and more weight. You can certainly fit both frames with a carbon forks. It will give you a lighter, quicker response. Steel forks, however, have a unique sturdier feel to them, and soak up a LOT of vibration and road chatter. They don't have as nimble of a feel, though. Gunnar lists the Hyper X as being able to accommodate 700x35 tire with fenders. The Fastlane can accommodate 700x38 tires with fenders, 700x40 without fenders. Of course, which size of tire will depend on the wheel set that you chose.

Basically, if you intend to race competitively, the Hyper X would be the better choice. If you intend to hit the cyclocross path, but also want an all around adventure bike that can be equally as competent on the road as it is off the road, specially carrying some additional weight, then the Fastlane would probably be my recommendation.

Post subject: Re: Hyper-X questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm 

Thanks for the response. I'm still leaning towards the Hyper-X. At 155 lbs, I don't think stress the frame and I have no plans of bolting on panniers. At the most I'll throw on some fenders.

I would like to know about tire clearance. Posts here seem to indicate that tire clearance between the Fastlane and the Hyper-X are pretty much the same. You're right, though, that the specs listed for each indicate that there is a difference. Does anyone know the answer?

Your comments about a steel fork vs carbon has me really undecided about which way to go. I have a Ti road bike with carbon fork so was going w/ carbon basically for weight. I also thought carbon was more forgiving.

Any more comments that will help me decide? I'm guessing if I go with a Gunnar steel fork I'll need to order frame and fork at the same time. I was planning on placing my order for my frame then while waiting pick up the components.

Appreciate it

Peter