Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:09 am 

Hello, this is my first post on Gunnars.

I am looking to purchase a pre-owned Gunnar Sport locally, but the frame has been re-painted and there are no serial number on the bottom of the frame.

Are there other ways to determine if the frame is actual Gunnar? From what I can tell, it looks to be a Gunnar, but not exactly sure without serial number.

Thanks in advanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:07 pm 

If you know the year and size, you could cross check the headtube length with the Gunnar Geometry sheet/spec sheet. Measuring the top tube or seat tube is somewhat difficult to get an accurate measurement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Every Gunnar goes out with a serial number. The number may be hidden under the paint, but every frame gets one. Check out the FAQ section at http://Gunnarbikes.com to find out where the serial number is and what it looks like.

Paint can, sometimes, obscure part of a serial number. With a model, size and history, we can fill in partial serial numbers. It is very rare that you can't see enough of a serial number to identify the frame.

If the serial number has been removed, I'd be concerned about foul play. You certainly would not want to buy a stolen bike. We have a record of virtually every Gunnar ever built. If you want to buy a used Gunnar, you have the right to validate the serial number.

We're so serial number-obsessed that we require a valid one for every Gunnar registered (new or used). Once you register your Gunnar, you can report it stolen and we'll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks,

Richard