Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:17 am 

I am looking to plunge into the frequent commuter pool. My one way ride will be anywhere from 10 miles to the Park and Ride or about 25 down to the office. I have Campy Chorus 11 to throw on as a drive train. I'm a Clydesdale @ 255. I am looking at the need to use pannier(s) or a bag on a rear rack (or is it better/safer to carry stuff on the front...) For the commute and around town stuff, the Crosshairs seems to be the way to go. However, what if I do some touring? I guess it would be considered light touring. Do I need to go with the Grand just because of my current weight. Or, will the Crosshairs do the job and be okay if I want to pack some stuff on there for a couple of days on the road :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:13 am 
Site Admin

Kudos to you for plunging into the commuting world.

Both bikes can work, but given your weight and interest in touring, the Grand Tour will likely be the better play. Not only does it have plenty of braze-ons, but it has a more upright riding position, suitable for commuting as well as touring. Even though you haven't listed "unsupported touring" as a desire, you'll like the flexibility to add it to your possible uses. I might lean the other way if you said you like racing 'cross.

In the largest sizes, (60 cm and up), both bikes share the same main tubes, so either one would be workable, especially if you like a more aggressive riding position.

Thanks!

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:47 pm 

On a similar note to this question, as I am looking at a Gunnar Grand Touring for my next bike, do you know frame weight by chance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:51 pm 

Good question, I would be curious comparing weight of the two, Grand Tour and Crosshairs. Is the info available?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:19 am 
Site Admin

A 56cm Grand Tour will weigh in at about 4 1/2 pounds, while a CrossHairs comes in at 3.8 pounds in the same size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:38 pm 

I have been happy with my Crosshairs. Fast as a road bike with 23mm tires but I run 32mm for everyday riding. It has good toe clearance for stop/go in traffic. Very nimble but not twitchy. I'm able to attach rack to rear for a pretty big bag to transport 'stuff".

I did switch to Tektro mini V brakes vs Cant's. Better stopping with no fork chatter(carbon fork).

If you go with the Grand Tour, you will need a different rear wheel with 135mm spacing. The Crosshairs has 130mm rear spacing. I find 130mm rear spacing wheelsets easier to find and are more cost effective.

I'm not sure how flexy the Crosshairs would be though with your "temporary" current weight. You will drop some pounds if you stick with it.

Good Luck