Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gunnar Roadie question
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:35 pm 

I know this is a silly question, but here goes.

Are there any performance issues between a Steel Roadie with a carbon fork and a full carbon bike?

I do lots of training rides and hammerfests, centuries, a little racing about 3k miles per year on the bike. Average speed is usually 20+ mph for most rides regardless of distance. I think with some customization of the Roadie I will have a frame that is taylor made for me and be very comfortable and will likely enjoy the steel ride. I am strongly considering a Gunnar Roadie. Of the 50 or so people I ride with, none have steel, they are all carbon or titanium, so that causes me some hesitation.

This question has probably been asked many time, so thank you for your indulgence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:16 pm 

The performance issue between steel vs carbon will be in the weight department, in my opinion. If you are thinking of going custom, you may want to consider the Waterford route. Price would be similar to a custom Roadie with better finish option. Full carbon could come in under 15 depending on components while the steel would be 16+. The beauty of custom steel is having a bike that no one else in your group has. It becomes a piece of ridable art, rather than a cookie cutter bike. I know you can't go wrong with a steel bike, but true race would be carbon, due to weight.
I'm biased, owning two Waterfords and one Gunnar. I'd take them any day for comfort and ridability. But, every once in a while, I still think of going to the dark side and pick up a carbon ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 am 
Site Admin

As Mr. Lensmire said, the big advantage of carbon is weight. Weight by itself will affect your speed by 1 mph for every 12 pounds of added weight - assuming everything else is equal - which it isn't.

> Steel's ability to spring back amplifies every pedal stroke.
> It's easier to maintain control over a well-built steel frame than an under-designed frame of any material.
> The ability to tune your fit though custom fit can make a big difference in both your handling and overall efficiency.

Don't ignore the minor matters of long-term value and crash-worthiness.

The weight difference max's out at a bit over a pound. It's typically less, size for size. We've had Gunnars come in below 16 pounds - with our stock tubing. We've had Waterfords below 15 pounds - the UCI lower weight limit.

A lot of riders like the combo of a good carbon fork with our frame. You get the ride of steel and the oscillation damping of the carbon fork.

There's a whole generation of riders who've never experienced the pleasures of riding a well built steel frame. Don't be surprised when you get the giggles after putting on some miles on your new Waterford or Gunnar.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:18 pm 

from the big box manufacturers such as Trek and Specialized. They are mostly painted all alike within brand and nothing distinguishes one from the other. You could have your Gunnar painted any one of many colors or get a custom Gunnar or Waterford and get it designed to your exact specifications.

In the long run, I recommend having more than one bike so you can treat yourself to selecting one that fits your mood each day you ride. A nice steel Gunnar one day, a lighter road rocket in carbon the next, and then a steel Waterford with a carbon fork for those in between days.

Post subject: Steel works for me...
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:36 pm 

All I know is I completed the 90 mile Race the Lake in Oshkosh last summer on my 2003 Roadie and was within 100 yards of hitting the finish line first in my 19-22 mph group but was gobbled up by about 10 guys having gone out to quickly. I believe there were two Waterford frames and my Roadie mixed in with all the carbon bikes in our approximate 40 rider pelaton leading the hundreds in our group so I'm not sure what advantage these carbon guys had if any. We averaged 23 mph over 90 miles over fairly level terrain and I don't think the computer noticed whether the bike was steel or carbon. The Roadie Rocks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 pm 

Thank you so much for this great info...