Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fast Lane Wheels?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:57 pm 

So, I finally got my hands on a frame and now its time to build it up! Does any one have suggestions for a 700c disk wheelset to use on the Fast lane? I assume cyclocross will provide some options, but i am not too familiar with whats out there in that catagory. I will be primarily commuting (with panniers) and light touring. Will this be a scenario where I piece them together myself or are there pre-built options? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:32 pm 

Not sure what your budget is, but I recently put these on my Fastlane build and they might be exactly what you are looking for. The inner rim width is 19mm, so you could run any tire from 28c up to your frame width limits comfortably and safely. 32 spokes disc specific are about 1846g w/ no skewer and are very strong and quite stiff. Here's the link:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... egory=3655.
Sign up to receive emails from them and they may give you a discount. They sent me a coupon after I bought a bunch of stuff from them. Try the coupon code :VIP15 for 15% off.
Good luck!
[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:06 pm 

Those look like a pretty good fit.. Does this then mean that I can use any 29er wheel in place of a 700c?? It sounds like the width of the rim plays a role in what tires can fit though? Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:16 pm 

You can use any 29er wheelset as they are the equivalent to 700c wheels. 29er is just the designation mountain wheels use. Inner rim width is what is important when it comes to tire selection in this case. A 19mm inner width means that you can run skinny tires if you want, but also have the option of running wider tires should you want. Most road rims have an inner width of about 16-17mm which allows them to rum 23c-25c tires without the worry of pinched flats. Most mountain wheelsets have inner rim widths at 21mm and larger to accommodate wider tires, so I guess it just depends on how skinny a tire you want to run. If you are going to ride your Fastlane mostly on pavement. then I would suggest a inner rim width of no more than 19mm. If you plan on riding trails, then a inner rim width of 19-21mm or greater would be fine. It all really depends on where you will be doing your riding. Sheldon brown has an excellent chart when it comes to tire selection and rim width. Here's the link:
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Scroll down to "Width Considerations" on the web page.
Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:23 am 

So, then would a 10 speed road cassette fit on a mountain hub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:51 am 

most free hubs are 8,9,10 speed compatible, though you should always double check (ask the place your buying it from, or check the hubs manufacturers website). The diff. in 8,9,10 speed cassettes is in the spacing/spacers between the cassette cogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:51 pm 

That is good news. So, I like your idea on building some wheels.. Unfortunately, i realized that the price on the DT Swiss / TN719 link you posted was for just the front wheel... Putting that a bit above my budget. I am thinking of going with some XT hubs and possibly the TN 719 rims. Would you recommend 32 or 36 spokes? I weigh about 180 lbs and will be commuting with rear panniers with laptop, clothes, lunch, etc.

What about the option of building a dynamo wheel up front?? I really haven't heard anything about these, but seems like it could be a good idea for a commuter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:51 pm 

Did you get the blue one that was on ebay? I was the first bidder at $450, and thought, there's no way that it could go for that cheap.

You can't go wrong with 36, and since you're considering xt hubs, I don't think the extra weight of 4 spokes will make a huge difference. Really, the build quality is more of a factor than the difference between 32 and 36. If you keep cruising ebay, you can find some 29er wheels relatively affordable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:58 pm 

Yea, thats me! Thats pretty crazy, I was surprised enough to see one pop up on there. So yea, I have decided on xt/TN719 with 36 spokes. One question though: alloy or brass nipples?? Are there necessary strength advantages to brass nipples over alloy in this case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:29 am 

Definitely brass. I only use alloy on wheels that I race, the strength is much lower, and the chances of corrosion and seizure is higher also.