Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:02 pm 

I just bought a used Crosshairs that is probably from about 2003. I believe it is from before the OS2 tubing.

Does anyone know if I can fit some 700 X 45 commuter tires? The current description says clearance for 38c plus fenders but I dont know what the clearance is without fenders.

On a side note. I am looking for decent all purpose tires for a cheap as I can find them. Any ideas?

Any input welcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:44 pm 

The largest I fit in my 2002 Crosshairs is 38c, slick. There was a couple mm on each side, but I could not fit a 42c IRC knobbie tire. The limiting factor is in the chainstays, where the fender will clip, but won't really go in between like in the seat stays. You can fit 45c in the seatstays. Here are some pics of me totally voiding any chance of warranty and getting my crosshairs to fit 45c tires:
http://picasaweb.google.com/11111394309 ... sterCross#
Basically involves some bent MTB stays, and since I was going through all of that, I added a disc mount and chopped off the canti posts. The local bike shop powder coated it mirror black for $60. I'm still waiting on brakes, but I rode it around the block and it didn't break. One can easily see I'm not a professional frame builder.
Good all around is very dependent on what your definition of all around is. WTB allaroundasurous or something like that is ok for mostly road, dirt road, though it'll let you slide when you corner hard in grass.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:29 pm 

As your tire presses down onto the driving surface, it forces the mud or snow into those groves and out towards the edges of your tire, ensuring that more of the flat, raised parts of your tire are gripping the road. The more of your tire that is in direct contact with the road, the more traction you get and the safer your drive will be and less likely you’ll need roadside assistance.