Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:15 am 

I guess I have had too much coffee this am but I am trying to configure the ultimate C&O Canal / Alleghany Trail bike. I don't ride a mountain bike aggressively, but like the idea of a bike that can be ridden on rough trails. Really like the idea of internal gears and belt drive. Both trails are relatively flat so having a lot of gears is not necessary.
Disc brakes and the ability to install a rack and fenders. I would use a flat bar or a Jeff Jones bar. And I really like the idea of 650b wheels and tires.
And the Gunnar Rock Tour seems like the perfect platform for this build

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 am 

I don't speak on behalf of Gunnar, but that sounds pretty pimp! From what I've seen, a full knobbie 650b will fit in a rocktour, but is not recommended. For the C&O and Allegheny trail, some slick, or less than full knobbie would work for me, but it's entirely rider dependent. I think, with the disc brakes, you could run 700c with some cross tires. My 26" rockhound can fit 42c cross tires, barely! This does raise the bb a bit, and probably voids any warranty with fox. The advantage to 700c is availability of tires compared to 650b; hopefully there will be more 650b tires in the near future.
I'm planning a C&O trip this summer; I'll look out for that rocktour :D

Ride on,
Gef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:58 am 

Depending on size of bike, I'd go 29'er w/ rigid fork. With discs you could run 700 road tires 23-38's and 29'er mtb. Best of both worlds. With the correct rims you could probably get away with one wheel set. Only thing, running road tires, you'd need 135mm rear hub for proper spacing, not off the shelf road, but with disc set-up, they probably be handbuilt wheels any how.
Post pictures when you pull the trigger and have Waterford/Gunnar build it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

We been investigating belt drives for some time and have even built one (using the S&S coupler technique). While it's fun playing with new stuff, we're not without misgivings about the technology long-term.

> It's not like chains are loud.
> It's not that belts can't get dirty. While you lose the chain grease with a belt drive, they do pick up dirt, so don't throw out your pants protectors.
> While chains occasionally break, they are amazingly reliable.
> We're uncomfortable bending tubes as much as is needed for a belt to get changed. We're looking for alternatives that don't require the frame to break apart.
> Mechanically, bike chain is still more efficient. The more demanding the use, the more you'll want chain instead of a belt.

Stay tuned. . .

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:33 am 

Ok, Ok, I agree. I just saw a Trek SOHO with that system and thought it would make a great C&O canal bike. The Gunnar Rocktour 29er is too tall for me. I understand I can get one custom but thought if I go that far I may as well try something really bizzare. What I do not like about the belt drive is the inability to put more gears in the front.

Thanks for all of the insight. Also looked at the Salsa Fargo but really want to go with a US brand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:06 am 

Remember, the rocktour does come in 4 sizes, was it a 19" you stood over?
Salsa is in fact a US brand, Waterford used to make their bikes, but production has since been shipped overseas. QBP, the parts distributing company your bike shop probably uses, owns Salsa. While Trek does still make a few models in the US, I'm pretty sure the Soho is made overseas.