Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Waterford paint finish
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:31 pm 

I have a gunnar roadie with standard paint job. It seems to chip fairly easily although I don't know if this is to be expected with all paint finishes on bike frames.

My question is what is the difference between a waterfod finish and the standard gunnar paint finish? Do waterfords get a powder coat job? My understanding is that these are the most durable.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:50 am 
Site Admin

Sorry to hear about your chips. We use the same paint systems for both Waterford and Gunnar finishes these days.

With enough of a blow, any finish will chip, including powder coat finishes. With our paint systems, there is a roughly 30 day cure period where the finish is somewhat more vulnerable to chipping. Once the poly-urethane molecules have fully interlocked (which is what it means to cure), the best thing you can do is to keep your bike waxed. Once every 2000 miles usually does it. In addition to preventing moisture flow through the paint, it keeps the paint itself more supple, which makes it harder to chip.

Waxing your bike can made a huge difference, not just to reduce chipping, but also to reduce fading and external corrosion.

Proper care helps insure that your Gunnar looks great like the thousands already on the road.