Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:36 pm 

My LBS was showing me the ultegra 10 to go with the Gunnar Crosshairs I'm looking to purchase. I know I've seen other builders though, go with either mountain front der. or even mountain rear and crankset.

Is the Crosshairs designed to handle one kind of set up better than another? Can you make any recommendations as to what would likely work better? I was more interested in making the Crosshairs durable for some off-road work than in making it light for long road rides.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:26 pm 
Hi Drew,

The cool thing about the Crosshairs is its versatility. We have seen both MTB and road driveline configurations as well as drop bars and straight bars being used on this frameset.

Be careful in mixing road and MTB components: i.e Road STI shifters w/ MTB cranks/front derailluers as they don't work. I believe IRD makes a remedy for this combination.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Happy trails!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:01 pm 

Hi Drew,

You may want to consider either a cyclocross crank, 48/34 or a compact, 50/34 upfront with road components and a mtn. rear der. and cassette, 11/34 or 12/34. Both my husband and I have this set up on our cross bikes and it works well giving us a 1:1 ratio in the lowest gear. No triples needed!

Enjoy your crosshairs!

streetpup

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:05 pm 

thank you both.

Streetpup, I like the way you're thinking. What would qualify as a cyclocross crank?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:07 pm 

Drew,

I have a TA cyclocross crank and I believe that Ritchey makes one as well. Just google it and see what you come up with.

streetpup

Post subject: out board bearings
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:03 pm 

On my Crosshairs, I first used the new Mt. Shimano cranks with the outboard bearings. The chain line seemed to suffer a little. It worked,but a little too noisy for me. I then put on a splined XTR crank set and all is well. I feel with the first crank set it was a chain line thing because of the increased width between the crank arms due to the wider bearing locations. I think... The Crosshairs kicks butt! The wheels stick to the ground at all times. It is very solid feeling in mud,climbing,decending and plain ol' hauling ass. Cool bike!

gunnerluver