Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:15 pm 

Well it has been about five weeks now since my new Sport arrived so I thought I would share my experience with the bike, now that I have some miles on it.

I began my search for a bike that would pefrom well in two types of riding: commuting and on long distance event rides. For the past five years I have been riding a performance oriented recumbent, so you can understand that comfort was a pretty high priority.

Because of my long legs and short torso I opted to go with the custom geometry, which is perhaps the best $350 that I have spent in biking as the bike fits wonderfully thanks to the Ward at River City bikes who completed the extensive fitting process (two hours plus another 30 minutes at a later date to reassure a nervous customer). Needless to say the fit is wonderful. Everying on the bike feels as if it is just in the right place....no straining, or reaching. The custom geometry and the personalized fit of the bike allow me a wide range of adjustment should my riding style change. I just cant say enough positive things about fitting process, and the Gunnar staff who interpeted my measurements, riding style and produced a bike that fits me like a glove now and most likely in the future.

For both commuting and long distance riding the bike is very stable, predictable but still responsive and lively. Over this past weekend I completed the annual Seattle to Portland ride with 125 miles on Saturday followed up by an additional 80 miles on Sunday and on several occassions had descents at speeds in the low 40 mph range and the Sport was confidence inspiring.

Living in the Northwest it was also important to have a bike that handled well in the wet and accomodated fenders and larger tires. Strangely enough there are really only a handful of bikes on the market that can accomodate this need especially non-custom bikes. For me 28c tires provide a great balance between putting a good amount of rubber on the road but not so much that they detract from the performance of the bike and is great to be able to accomodate this size tire and fenders as well.

Prior to taking delivery of the Sport, I had the opportunity to ride, for about three months, my son's Trek 5000 which is an all carbon fiber bike. And while the Trek is a bit lighter, I really prefer the handling and ride of the Sport, not to mention the craftmanship of the Gunnar. The 60cm Sport with steel fork and Campy components (Veloce & Centaur) comes in at about 21.5 lbs including some relatively heavy tires and seat. The frame weighs 4.2 lbs and about 2.0 lbs for the fork with the steerer uncut. While it may weigh about two pounds more than the 58cm Trek, I find no discernable difference in climbing, but a big difference in stability.

And lastly the finish of the Sport is beautiful as I am sure it is with all Gunnars. Since I plan on having this bike for quite some time, I opted to go the more basic standard blue metallic which I think while not being flashy I think will age well.

As to constructive criticism or areas to improve I really can't offer any as the Sport is ideal of the types of riding that I do. My only criticism is not of the bike but of the descriptor that Gunnar uses to describe it as a "recreational bike". While I know that is appropriate unfortunately the cycling public associates "recreational bikes" with lower performing bikes and that is certainly not the case with the Sport.

So all in all I am extermely pleased with the purchase. The Gunnar staff including Dave and Joann were always quick to answer any of my numerousl questions or requests and delivered a wonderful and beautiful bike on the timeline that was promised.

Pat McShane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:06 pm 

Pat,
Great post. I also have a 5 week old OS2 Sport with 750 miles. I, like you, think the description as a "recreational bike" is not a fair description of the Sport. I prefer to call it a high performance comfort machine. With the proper tires and wheels it can literally do anything. I have a number of race bikes and I told the wife just yesterday if I had to sell all of my bikes, god forbid, the Gunnar is the one I'd probably keep. Pat, where's the pic of your blue beauty? I also would have selected the same metallic blue but I already had a bike about the same color. Instead I went with the screaming, see me now, lime twist.
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:34 pm 

Pat,

Thanks for the review. I would also love to see a picture of your bike.

I am really just getting started in my search for a new bike (to replace or supplement my 1993 Trek 520). Your review on the quality of your Gunnar Sport, and also the quality of the people who helped to create it, is quite helpful, and reassuring to me.

Sean

Post subject: Sport OS2 Update
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:06 pm 

Here is a photo of my Sport with fenders etc.

Larry I really was hard pressed to decide on the color and liked the Lime Green alot. As soon as I changed from my original color of black to the medium blue I almost called Joann to change to the green. The one problem with Gunnars are the wonderful color options which makes deciding on one difficult.

Sean, I am fairly familiar with the Trek 520 and would think that the Sport would be a nice alternative. The 520 will be a better full touring bike as you know, while the Sport is really not a full touring bike bike but more of a sport touring bike, the difference being less load capacity for the Sport but in return you get a more lively handling bike. I would also anticipate that the Sport is lighter especially with the OS2 tubeset. If you wanted something that was even more of a departure from the 520 the Roadie would be your ticket.

I dont think you will be diappointed with either Gunnar. I looked at and researched the following production brands including Trek, Specialized, Lemond, Klein, Litespeed, along with several custom builders including, Davidson, Landshark, Houle, Rodriguez, Erickson, Habaneros, even our hometown builder of Co-Motion and found that for my needs Gunnar/Waterford offerred the best value in a steel frame.

Pat McShane[/img]