Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 04 Roadie vs. 05 Roadie
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:59 pm 

Hi all,

I am currently looking to replace my 1993 Trek 520 Touring Bike with something new. I typically ride 20 - 50 miles at a time, in somewhat hilly terrain. I have done some loaded touring in the past, but am looking for something more in the line of a training / recreational bike - with an occasional 50 miles + ride.

I have always fantasized about a Waterford, but never had the $ to buy one (still have that problem). A trip to my LBS made me aware of Gunnar bikes. They have an 04 Roadie in stock, Ultegra components, for a price of less than $2,000.

My questions, is the new tubing in the 05 model, along with any other changes, worth the extra money I would spend on an 05 Roadie?

An additional question, based on my riding style, would the Gunnar Sport be a better choice for me?

Thanks for your help.

Post subject: roadie vs. sport
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:16 pm 

The price is probably OK, but not great unless it's Ultegra 10. I believe the dealer around me is selling 105 rigged '05 Roadies for $1700-1800. You didn't mention the rest of the trim such as wheels, bar, stem, and saddle. They can all vary in quality and therefor the final price price of the bike.

For Sport vs. Roadie see some of the previous posts on this board. Roadie will be quicker handling bike, while the Sport should have a smoother ride. Sport will also take fenders and wider tires if you need.

I went from a 1989 Trek 520 to a Roadie. Love the bike. Sport would ride similarly to the Trek, but of course it's lighter. Would there be enough of a difference between the Sport and the Trek 520? Either way, both Roadie and Sport are fine bikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:32 pm 
Howdy,

The '04 Roadie was the first with the OS2 tubeset we launched in late '03. The '04 and '05 share the same tubeset and handling. The only difference is the '05 went to what we call a slammed or semi-compact design you see on the site now.

Ride quality would be virtually identical.

The Roadie is a quick-handling machine as most owners will attest. it is a direct spin-off of the Waterford 2200 with a modified head angle to accomodate mass-production forks (like Profile). If you want a great bike for spirited riding and training there is no doubt that it would be the machine.

The Sport is the ultimate in a high performance recreational use road bike. This may be the best fit for the type of riding you describe and may be a smoother transition from your touring bike.

Best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:51 pm 

Thanks for your comments. I hope to get a closer look and a test ride of the Roadie (and Sport?) on Friday. Its been a long time since I was on a bike other than my Trek. I can't wait to see how far bike technology has come.