Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:48 pm 

I'm in the process of getting my '05 Sport built. I opted for the Waterford level paint, in Sherwood Forest candy metallic green. It's a BoBish build, with barcons, fenders, and a rack. The BRG Brooks is hard to match. I want a contrast between the hoods and the cork, so black is out. What would you guys do in this situation? Tan, Celeste, what?

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:20 pm 

Well, I prefer cloth. The saddle will be a very dark green, almost black. If I was going brown, I'd look at Rivendell. For green, I'd check out Jitensha Studio. You could also call Yellow Jersey. They're Waterford dealers and look as if they have more tapes than anybody on earth, so they're probably familiar with the colors involved.

These folks have been mentioned by others, but I really don't know how they would hold up on a bike.

http://www.woodedhamlet.com/tapes_braid ... tweel.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:25 pm 

MikeMyers wrote:
I'm in the process of getting my '05 Sport built. I opted for the Waterford level paint, in Sherwood Forest candy metallic green. It's a BoBish build, with barcons, fenders, and a rack. The BRG Brooks is hard to match. I want a contrast between the hoods and the cork, so black is out. What would you guys do in this situation? Tan, Celeste, what?

Mike

According to my wife, I have but slight better colour co-ordination than next door's terrier, but I have managed to colour-coordinate my beloved Sport somewhat well despite that.

So, I won't presume to offer you bar colour advice

HOWEVER!

That yellow handlebar tape on my Sport is a royal pain to keep clean. Even worse, it's gel Cinelli, great to ride on, but about the most expensive tape around. It get dirty any time I look hard at the bike, working on her requires that dirty hands never go near the tape and wiping grit off the tyres while riding means either I wipe my mitts on my shorts, or get a dirty patch on the yellow tape.

Tan sounds like a colour that will work, but may attract dirt about as well as my yellow :(

Have a feeling I've seen green cloth someplace - Harris? Rivendell? Taste, not flash, is definitely called for on your new ride.

I have this urge for a light purple rear end fading into cream front, carbon fork sprayed lt purple at the top, cream in the middle, into nude carbon at the bottom - what colour tape there, I wonder?

Hope that helps, and good luck, sounds like it'll be a really neat looking bike

Dereck