Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sport or Roadie?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:46 pm 

I have a 2005 Roadie that I bought used mid-season last year and absolutely love it. (It's my first road bike) Recently, I had a detailed two-hour bike fitting that revealed that the frame is too small, which leads me to a couple questions.

I'm still an infant as far as road cycling goes, but I've ridden in a couple races and have enjoyed it tremendously. I also would like to be able to ride an occasional century. The bike fit dude said that my saddle to handlebar drop should be about 2cm.

Which is easier? Racing on a Sport and staying with a 23MPH paceline or riding a century on a Roadie? I'm assuming that with the right stem, a 2cm drop is possible on a Roadie frame once the saddle is dialed in? The used Roadie has an Ultegra Flight Deck group, so I'm thinking I'll just get a new 58cm frame and move all the components over to the new frame. Any potential issues I should be aware of with this?

Thanks much! Already looking forward to picking out the color! =^)

==
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:16 pm 

If you stay with racing, you'll want a roadie. A cat 1/2 race can get up to 90-100 miles anyways, and it's doubtful that any of them ride a sport bike vs a race. Your saddle to handlebar drop is dependent on you, and I hope the fitter took that into consideration rather than giving a rule of thumb. Only 2 cm is pretty short for racing, I run my bars higher than others in my races, and I'm at 7 cm, but again, it's dependent on you. If it really is 2 cm, then a sport might in fact be better, but if/when you upgrade to 4-3 you'll probably want to be lower when it's your turn at the front of the paceline.
As you train and ride more, especially if you're training for races, you'll develop a stronger core, which can help your body get low in a somewhat aero position, and with that you'll be able to sustain a lower position for longer periods of time, which would make the position not as big of a deal for a century.
The only thing to consider in swapping components is the cables will probably need to be replaced, and probably a new fork too, as they'll be too short for the bigger bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:33 am 

I say go with a sport, the only component difference is the brakes. Dropping the handlebars will not make a bike fast in a race situation, where drafting is involved. I think its important to allow your lungs to expand.
the front end on a 58cm (with fork length included) would be 1.3cm or .5" (if you want to get low get some deeper drop bars.
I would also add the brakes on the sport are not really "long reach" like some would describe they are really "standard" modern road bikes use short which have very little versatility when it comes to tires or even fender option in the off season.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:59 pm 

Thanks a bunch, you guys... good stuff to consider.

Yes, the 2cm handlebar drop was suggested for my personal setup after he turned me into a pretzel to see how flexible (or in my case, inflexible) I am. I do feel that I'm leaning towards sticking with the Roadie; and would definitely plan on replacing all the cables, chain, etc..

==
Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:03 pm 

I totally agree,this is a great site...