Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Photo of OS2 Sport
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:46 am 
Here is the first shot of a Big Band Blue OS2 Sport with our steel fork and set up with Campy Centaur 10 by our friends at Yellow Jersey in Madison WI. Thanks Andy!

Post subject: New Sport
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 am 

Dave

It looks like the fork on the new Sport is different than the older model? Can you tell us about new fork in comparison to the old? Are all of the new Sports coming with this what appears to be more of a straight less raked fork?

Thanks

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 pm 
Howdy Paul,

The new fork is the result of using an 1 1/8" fork crown that has the offset at the crown. It is the only road crown we found acceptable with 1 1/8" capability.

The result is what you see. A 531 straight blade fork. It is essentially the same for we use for requests with the Roadie and Waterfords, but is for 57mm brakes and has a single eyelet at the dropouts. We think it makes the Sport look, well...sporty..

Folks desiring the curved blades can use the Mosaic 57 carbon fork or we have built some 1" steer curved forks for the new sport. The 1" fork requires the use of adapters in the 1 1/8" headtube.

Best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:52 pm 

A thing of beauty - and are my ancient eyes decieving me, or is that back wheel closer to the seat tube than on my beloved 03 Sport?

But those straight fork blades - take them out back, shoot them, and put us out of our misery! Steel forks are curved - let the plastic and beercan bikes go chase fashion!

Regards

Dereck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:12 pm 
Hi Dereck,

No deception from the eyes, just the angle of the camera shot. Other than the taller headtube the basic frame dimensions remain.

As for the fork. I think most know we strive to find a balance with mostly function and some fashion (subjective). We certainly have been accused of not being "fashionable" many times. No Ti, Carbon, etc. We'll live with that.

While we would like to offer an 1 1/8" curved fork as an option, none of our vendors offer a crown that we deem reliable to work with, yet. It is something that is being explored, but the straight blade steel and Mosaic 57 were the best answer to the need for the OS2 tube set and 1 1/8" enhancements.

Thanks for the feedback! BTW Your bike looks awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:01 pm 

Thank you, Dave - sometimes I feel like a meteor strike would be the end of folk like me!

FWIW - there's a "Roadie" around DC in similar colours to mine, bar her black carbon forks - we met atop the Capital Crescent Trail last Summer and both about fell over. However, I can put hand over heart and say that I saw that Red / yellow fade Waterford over on t'other siteafter I thought mine up!

Have finally figured out that TIG welding was invented to allow multi-colour fade finishes to work - they'd never look right over lugged frames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:16 am 

I for one like the look of the straight fork. The proof is not in how it looks but how it rides. I'm sure the staff at Gunner thought about it long and hard and I trust they made the right decision. Actually compact frames are something I have a hard time adjusting to. What kind of slope to the top tube is on a size 54?
Thanks,
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:30 pm 
Howdy Dereck,

I try to not think of meteor strikes.. :shock: As for the Yellow to Red fade...it is a personal favorite. My '98 2200 is the one on the Waterford site but now it sports an Ouzo Pro instead of the steel fork. Every time I think I want a repaint I can't do it.

A few years ago we offered the Yellow to Red as a color of the month and Revolution sold a fair number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:36 pm 
Howdy Larry,

You would only imagine the agony we go through when making a change or adding a model. Thoughtful design involves numerous opinions, desires and respose to loads of feedback from everyone and then sorting through the math of it all to make it work the way it should, without compromise.

The compact look is purely functional for us. It allows for a taller headtube while maintaining the standover you would expect from a comparable level top tube frame. Mid-range size sports like the 54cm will have about 8 degrees of slope.

Best,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:57 pm 

For those of us just tuning in, can you explain what's gained in going to the OS2 tubing? Does it make the bike lighter? Sturdier? Ride better?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:29 pm 
Hi there,

With the second generation oversized (OS2) tube set in all of our models (sans the Street Dog), we were able to take a chunk of weight out and make the bottom bracket significantly stiffer without compromising the ride quality. This is a function of the larger diameter/thinner wall tubes.

This custom air-hardening tube set made for us by True Temper is second only to the S3 set we designed for use in the Waterford R33.

Post subject: OS2 Sport
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:19 pm 

Dave

Any idea of the weight range of the frames ie small to largest? I know that this is sometimes a touchy subject with manufacturers, so I understand if you dont want to quote something.....thanks.

Pat Mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:26 pm 
Hi Pat,

I just pulled a 56cm Sport off of our ship rack. It is painted, and all the hardware: bottle bolts & seat clamp. It is 3.8 pounds.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:16 pm 

DAVE HELLEKSON wrote:
Here is the first shot of a Big Band Blue OS2 Sport with our steel fork and set up with Campy Centaur 10 by our friends at Yellow Jersey in Madison WI. Thanks Andy!

Wild. I just made a trip to Madison on Saturday, killed some time by stopping in at the Yellow Jersey, and I was drooling over this very same bike. The color scheme rocks.

Makes waiting for my Sport even harder. Thanks for posting the pic.