Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:04 pm 

I would appreciate your input on whether to go with the standard steel Sport fork or with the Mosic 57 which has been mentioned on this board before? I would anticipate a weight savings with the Mosaic but in some instances there is not that much difference between carbon and steel unless you go with the very light carbon forks. Any thoughts as to which is preferable?

Thanks

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:10 am 
Hey there Paul,

The Mosaic 57 is the only composite fork that allows for the 57mm brakes at this time. It weighs in at 542g (pre-cut). Rides nice. A good compliment to the Sport.

For those who do not care about weight. The steel fork has a sweet ride with it's 531 blades. It weighs in at 900g (with a bunch of uncut steer tube)

With the Mosaic steer at 298mm, the new OS2 62cm Sport requires the steel fork.

We like them both. Sport owner comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:21 am 

I've had my new OS2 Sport with the Gunnar straight blade steel fork for a week :D . Managed to log approx. 200 miles. The steel fork provides a nice cushy ride without the dead carbon feel. Has the right amount of stiffness for climbing or sprinting and IMO looks cool. The only reason to get the carbon fork is if one is hung up on saving an insignificant amount of weight. Why anyone would want to put a fork glued together in Taiwan, on a frame handcrafted in the USA from tubing manufactured in the USA is beyond me.

Post subject: Sport Fork
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:49 pm 

Seems like the new Sports are rolling out the door. I also picked up my new OS2 Sport a few days ago and while I havent had a chance to give it a full shake down ride, I did log just a few miles on it and am pleased with the fork's initial performance even on downtown Portland's challenging streets.

Question for Dave, Joanna or Richard, and maybe this pertains to my custom geometry but my chainstays measure 42.8cm which is down just a hair from the old chainstays at 43.5. Were any changes made to shorten them?

Pat Mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:51 pm 
Hi Pat,

Your chainstay length was taken into consideration with the overall custom geometry design. You may notice slightly better climbing performance. However, the typical Sport characterstics still hold true.

Have a great weekend & get out & ride!

BSG