Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: looking for a new bike
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:13 pm 

I'm looking for a new bike. I've considered the different materials and steel seems to come out on top everytime. I'm looking for a commuter bike that can be used as a medium weight touring bike. The Fast Lane seems to fit the bill. I see that this bike will accomodate tires up to 40 mm. Excuse my ignorance, but can a small tire, say 25-28 mm be accepted as well. Will the hydraulic brakes impede the changing of wheels? If I can alternate between a 38 mm tire and a 25 mm tire then I think I would have a do it all bike. Or would I be better off with a Grand Tour? Thanks in advance for all the responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

Excellent question. When we discuss tire sizes, we always speak in terms of the maximum tire size. In the case of the Fastlane, we figure the 40C tires, though the geometry is really designed for 32C's. Install 25C's and your steering gets quicker and your bike lighter - an easy way to give your commuter a sportier feel.

Regardless of which tire you select, you won't have any interference issues because of the brakes. Indeed, with disc brakes, you don't have the problem of the calipers not opening up wide enough for the tires.

Thanks,

Richard

Post subject: thanks Richard
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:10 pm 

I like the Fastlane. I think it is what I want. My local dealer is Johns Cyclery in St. Albans, WV. Tom and the guys are all business while maintaining a real sense of friendliness. It's a great shop they always place the customer first. I look forward to making my purchase.