Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: many questions :)
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:31 pm 

I have many questions about options on Gunnars as well as comparison of Gunnars to Waterfords.

I'll start by saying that I'm looking for a bike that will be used for commuting and possibly cross racing. In general, I'm thinking fairly standard cross geometry. Now my special needs:

1. when commuting, it'll be running fixed gear. So *might* need less bb drop than a typical 70mm (sticking with 170mm cranks, though, so might not be an issue).

2. i'll be using disc brakes and 135 mm rear hub.

3. i'm a bit of a weight weenie. don't want to compromise performance but hoping for a 3.5 # frame. (i'm about 170 and probably needing a 56cm)

my special wants:

1. i'd like an interuptable seat stay for using belt drive. (i think Paragon sliders would work; they offer one with a fitting specifically for belt drive....)

2. i know it's purely a style thing, but i'd love an integrated seat mast

the questions:

1. would a crosshairs be avalable with some/all of the configuration above? if it's going to be custom anyway, what about one of the other base models?

2. would it still be priced as a custom if it uses standard geometry? Would there be extra charges, eg for the sliders?

3. what would the differences be between this and the various Waterford levels? (just functional/weight differences - I know there's also the joining method used). Especially, even though it's apples and oranges price-wise, what would the difference be between say OS2 and 953 (yes, stainless steel is definitely in my "special wants" list but i'm sure i'll have to wait some time to be able to afford it).

4. I believe I've seen that waterford is finishing some bikes in cerakote/gunkote/durakote. Is that available for Gunnars?

I think that does it. Thanks!

baald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:36 am 

Wow, that will end up being some kind of bike! If you don't get a response here, your best bet is to call them since there are a lot of details to iron out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:49 pm 

Sounds like it would definitely be custom. I take it this would clearly be a single speed/fixie considering belt drive. If your worried about weight, why disc brakes, definitely heavier than rim. For cost of 953,take a look at the Waterford site's pricing. I looked into a 953 chainstay for my SR33, cost prohibitive in my opinion. If they build it, make sure to post photos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:22 am 

yes, definitely a SS/fixie.

re: disk brakes -- if i was *just* a weight weenie, i'd be looking at carbon frames instead of steel :) however, i want all-weather stopping, and hate how rim-brake rims look (and wear). when riding fixed, i'll be foregoing rear brake; going with a XX or R1 and ashima or alligator rotor should give me what i need for well under 300 grams.

as for the 953, i'm not seeking a quote or asking if i can get a Gunnar with 953. i'm just curious as to what the performance and weight differences would be vs OS2.

cheers
baald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:09 am 

Out of curiosity, what hub is available in disc, 135 spacing and fixed? Though I suppose you could run a shimano hub and a surly fixer or whatever it's called?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:12 am 

since i will run no rear brake when fixed, i'll use an iso mount cog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:00 am 
Site Admin

This is quite a list and would be considered a one-off custom. In general, we're not happy with the break-apart versions of belt drive bikes. We see some major structural issues down the road as you twist on these unsupported structures to get the belt in and out.

Belts work great in a relatively covered application such as under the hood of a car or housed in a motor cycle. What happens if a stick gets caught in the belt? We do know that once the belt gets a kink in it, it must be replaced.

As a result, we believe that ease of replacement will be an important feature. We're investigating designs that accomplish this, but nothing yet is complete.

As to weight: We like the function of the Paragons, but they are a heavier design. 3 1/2 pounds is not realistic - especially assuming a coupler design. As we have not yet solidified an alternate design, I can't comment on how it would impact weight.

Integrated seatmast? I'm guessing you mean integrated seatpost ala Trek. That structure translates poorly into steel. I would be concerned about structural problems here, too.

Waterford vs. Gunnar? For a project like this, it's a one-off design - hence time and materials. It would be your call. If you're on a budget, you probably don't want an experimental bike.

Thanks,

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 9:44 am 

thanks for your response, Richard, especially your thoughts re belt drive. as the interuptable frame and ISP are not on the must-have list, i'm fine foregoing them.

Can I assume though that the 135mm rear spacing, disc tabs and sliders (or horizontal drops for that matter) on a Crosshair would keep it in the realm of "standard bike with options" rather than "one off"? Do you have any other options for single-speed with disc tabs other than paragon sliders?

And finally, is the gunkote finish an option?

many thanks.
baald

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Once you go for the Paragon dropouts, you go custom - and it's essentially a custom Ruffian. The Paragon's are a pricey dropout set. Alsom we must accommodate all the cable routing and so on. You may want to call the factory to discuss your situation further.

Thanks,

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:43 am 

There is do many questions :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:21 am 

Wow, that will end up being some kind of bike! If you don't get a response here, your best bet is to call them since there are a lot of details to iron out.
Cheers....best way to get rid of acne