Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 am 

Hello! I am considering getting a 56 cm crosshairs frame. Does anyone have an opinion on what kind of stem length that works best with this frame? I know very little about cyclocross geometry. Would a 90 mm stem and compact handlebars work out, or is the frame built to be ridden with a longer stem? Regards/H

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:14 pm 

There are more variables than what you've mentioned. It is also dependent on your height, other body measurements, the rise of the stem, how many spacers are underneath, what your planned use of the bike is, and you get the picture. For example, on my 56 cm crosshairs, I have a 90 degree 100mm stem, I'm 5'10", with a 32" inseam. On my 54cm crosshairs, I run a -10 degree, 100mm stem. I use the 56 for riding around, wet weather road bike type stuff, and I race the 54 cm. Your best bet is to find a fit professional to size it up.

Ride on,
Gef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:28 pm 

oh, sorry, I think I was a bit unclear. I know what "cockpit length" I want, but I don't know what length of stems the crosshairs are designed to be ridden with. Therefore I am not sure whether for instance a smaller frame with a longer stem is better than a larger frame with a shorter stem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:25 pm 

Ah, usually you'd size down, if you ride a 58 road, then 56 cross, since the top tube on a 56 crosshairs is 565 so a tad shorter than the 58 roadie. I like running a longer tt shorter stem for general cross riding (hence my 56).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

If you go to My Gunnar on the new site, you can mock up your fit by giving us your saddle height, picking a stem and adding spacers. Then you can compare this to your ideal fit. Give it a try and see what works best for you.