Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: when to customize
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:04 pm 

Hi. What is the best advice you can give a person who does not know if a stock frame is appropriate or whether or not to go custom? How would I know if increased/decreased lengths or angles will make a difference in my comfort? I am relatively new to cycling but am logging lots of miles, and all I know is my neck and shoulders start hurting after 30 miles and killing me after 60. Raising the bars hasn't helped. I'm in a Rivendell Bleriot now. I haven't been able to find the Bleriot geometry because Rivendell is no longer making them. I like the sounds of the Gunnar Sport, but is it the right geometry for me? How would I know? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:42 pm 

Find a Waterford/Gunnar dealer in your area. Hopefully, they are fit-master trained or have been doing the custom route for a while. Talk with them and get fitted. When I was fitted, at the Waterford factory, the difference was night and day, when the sweet spot was hit. I suggest to everyone to get custom fitted and feel the difference, then decide if you want to order a custom frame or go stock.
Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:33 pm 

Thanks. Any advice, then, for getting a good customized fit? I have some local shops, all pretty disappointing, and none really interested in steel bikes. Is it worth a trip out of state to a "great" shop? Or are these folks really using the same techniques?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:09 pm 

I would send Richard or someone else at Waterford/Gunnar an e-mail and ask for a dealer nearest you. I don't know what city or state you are in so it is difficult to say. I think they pretty much have someone in every state, but they could direct you better than I. Just make sure you're comfortable and have a "good" vibe from whatever shop you go with.
Good Luck. If fitted properly, you can't go wrong when dealing with Waterford.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 pm 

I just purchased a stock Rock Hound but try this:

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/dealers.php

Post subject: Re: when to customize
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:23 am 
Site Admin

The best place to start is a bike fitting from a fitting pro. Though there are some excellent fitters who can solve your problems without formal training, and increasing number of fitters use a systematic approach to bike fit. Our favorite approach starts with the Fit Kit system, which uses both skeletal as well as soft tissue (flexibility, etc) measurements to establish a starting fit. Then the fitter fine tunes your position, either on a bike mounted on a wind trainer (maybe your existing bike) or a bike sizing machine like the Waterford Fitmaster (http://fitmaster.net). This gives you a chance to try out your fit before you buy, or to help determine adjustments to your current bike. A good fitter will observe many common problems without you spending hours on a bike.

Changing your fit is much of, but not all the answer to your comfort related problems. If you have health problems, you may need the help of a physical therapist or similar professional. If you are truly new to cycling, you do have to break your body in to the rigors of long-distance cycling. A good fitter can help coach you on this, as well.

Once you have your ideal fit established, it's pretty straightforward to see whether or not you need a made to measure Gunnar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 pm 

Listen to Richard. Spend the extra money for someone who knows what they are doing even if you have to drive a few hours. Richard suggested I go to a fitter that was further from my home but I chose a cheaper guy that was local who just took body measurements and plugged it into a computer program. The fitter never asked about riding style, etc.

In the end, it will save you money and pain.