Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:24 pm 

I've been looking for a good deal on a bike to convert to a single speed. I came across a Gunnar Rockhound on Ebay. It appears to be the Pink Panther color, and the seller doesn't have the year listed (and hasn't yet responded to my questions), but it appears to be a 2003? It's an XS with XT components. It appears to be in good shape, and he says it was his wife's bike and was rarely ridden.

The bidding starts at $649 with a buy it now price of $749. Is this a good price? What kind of weight am I looking at with this bike? He claims around 23 lbs...? I've done some digging on google, but this site and a little stuff on MTBR are about all I can find. I'd appreciate any guidance. Thanks!!

~Paula

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

How big is this frame? 23lbs sounds a little heavy, but maybe its a ginormous bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:20 pm 

I don't think 23 lbs is too terribly heavy for a geared bike, maybe a little bloated for a SS, but in reasonable range. Yes, 650-750 is a good deal. You know the frame price new, and to get a complete bike for that price isn't bad. I have a rockhound and a ruffian, and they're great mountain bikes.
My rockhound, though it's a 29er, is a tad about 25 lbs, size 17". The ruffian SS, fully rigid, is at 22 lbs, again, 17" though 26" wheels.
If you're super concerned with weight, then a steel bike probably isn't your best bet, a 13" frame probably weights a shade under 4 lbs, where those fancy carbon frames are at under 3. But if you want a great all around bike then the gunnar is terrific! Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:49 pm 

Thanks for the replies. It was an XS...or whatever the smallest is. I passed on it because it didn't have the capacity for disc brakes. I may end up with a Rockhound, but I would like the option for discs. I'm not a purist. = )

Will just keep watching Ebay, I guess!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:16 pm 

I don't blame you, disc is the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:26 pm 
Could just do a Ruffian...