Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rusty-colored seatpost
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 4:07 pm 

I have two gunnars (a roadie and a crosshairs) and have had an issue where whatever seatpost I use (carbon or thomson) develops a rusty colored build up on the outside of the post. It doesn't appear to be damaging the post(s)at all, but i'm wondering if it is actually compromising their strength and if i should expect problems in the future. Neither frame has been frame-savered, as far as I know (bought both slightly used) but when I asked my LBS about doing this they advised against it for various reasons. Any help on this is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:42 pm 

Don't know why your LBS would advise against Frame Saver. Especially since on the home page of Gunnar.com, it's listed as part of the winter prep from the mfg. Sounds to me they don't like to do it due to the mess it may cause in the shop or they don't know how. Buy a can and do it yourself next time you break down your bike for its thorough cleaning.
As far as a rust colored build up, is it on the portion of the seatpost that is inside the bike or exposed. If inside, don't you apply a light coat of grease or carbon anti seize prior to insertion? If not, do it, so your post won't seize due to the chemical reaction of dislike materials mixed with your perspiration. If it is external, it may be gravel dust sticking to a greasy seat post, discoloration from your saddle rails, seat post clamp, saddle material, etc.