Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:13 pm 

Hello! I am new here... :D

I finally bit the bullet and ordered up a new Crosshairs frame in 'color of the month' blue with white panels. I will set it up for 'general purpose' riding which will consist of about a 50:50 mix of pavement and hilly gravel roads/dirt trails (northern Minnesota). I'll use a SRAM drivetrain, but I can't decide on the crank configuration. Choices are typical road (53-39), compact (50-34?), or cross (46-38 ). I'll pick a cassette once I get the crank decision made. What do you recommend? I can always start with a Rival or Force 130bcd road crank with 53-39 chainrings and maybe replace the outer one with a 46-tooth ring. SRAM apparently does make a 130bcd 48-tooth outer ring, but I'd rather just get it right the first time. Thanks... Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:12 pm 

There are many factors to consider in which crank/cassette you order. On my general purpose xhair, I ran a 34/48 with a 11-32 when I lived in WV and Texas, but now that I live in ohio, I really dig 39/53 with the 11-32. I could have kept the compact and ran a smaller cassette, but I like how I can have a big change in ratios with just a few shifts.
Recently, I put on some racks and I'm going for a light touring setup, so the 34/48 went back on, which isn't too bad. I can still pedal up to 40 miles an hour, and with the almost 1:1 I can bear a load up a grade too.
Post a pic when you get it built!

Ride on,
Gef