Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gunnar Ruffian
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:02 pm 

I recently purchased a used Ruffian on Ebay. I noticed the following on the frame.

1. The head tube is quite longer than the pics I've seen here. Do you think it is a custom sizing or standard to Gunnar? The seller said it is a 2008 model.
2. The sticker on the head tube is a skull and not the typical Gunnar badge. Is this normal?
3. I got the frame for around $300. Do you think this is a good deal? The frame looks to be in really good condition.
4. Are all Gunnar frames made here in the US?

Here's the link to the pics.

http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee16 ... =002-3.jpg

Thank you so much and I'm so excited that I will finally get a chance to own a Gunnar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:15 pm 

I'll answer the questions that I know. I've never seen the skull and crossbones, seems too radical for standard Gunnar decor. It's a great deal if it fits well. The head tube looks about right (by my eyeballs only) for around a 19" frame. All Gunnars are made in Waterford WI. If you refer to the serial number guide you'll be able to verify if it's an 08, should be letter, 08, then xxx for number frame in the month, letter will tell the month.

Ride on,
Gef

Post subject: It is a size 17
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:20 pm 

It is a size 17 according to the seller with a 23 in top tube. I hope it is right. That's why I was thinking it might be custom size because of the head tube. I'll check the serial number once I get the frame next week as it is in UPS hands still. Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:01 am 

That is a great deal for sure.

On my 19" the headtube as I recall was 4.25", the headtube decal is not stock for sure, mine came with the normal logo one.

pics here

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=469675

Post subject: 26er Ruffian sizing
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:14 am 

This frame is for 26 inch tires. The seller told me that the 17 inch he quoted on Ebay is measured center to center. Gunnar's website shows sizes measured center to top of the seat tube. Based on this I think this frame that I got is a 19 inch frame. The only thing that's odd is the seller quoted a top tube length of 23 inches, which is the top tube length for a 17 inch frame. I'm 5 ft. 8 inch with an inseam of 31.25 inches. If this frame turns out to be a 19 inch frame, do you guys think I can still clear the standover height. If I do then I can just play with stem length or maybe I can still use my 100 mm stem. I have an 18 inch Airborne Lucky Strike with 23 inch top tube and I uses 100 mm stem with no problems. For now my problem is if I can clear the standover height. If anyone here with the same inseam, can you advise me if you have a 19 inch frame or a 17 inch frame and if I should be worried? I'm still waiting for the frame to arrive (it should be here by Friday) so I'm just working out on the information I got. Sorry for the long post and lots of questions. You guys are really helpful. Thanks.