Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 28mm Tire Suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:41 pm 

I am looking for any experience or recommendations that you might have for a 28mm tire on my Sport to replace the Avocets which are no longer made. I am running Conti Ultra Gatorskins which while not terrible dont have a great ride.

Thanks

Pat Mc

Post subject: tire rec
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:29 am 

How about the Rivendell (Panaracer) Roly-Poly's? I use the larger version the Jack Browns, the Green Lable ones, and they are fantastic tires. The JB Green lable are the larger Roly- Polys and the Blue Lable are the larger Ruffy Tuffy's. They are plenty durable so far and I ride them on gravel roads and through downtown Denver. I have heard that the Ruffy Tuffy's have a bit of a harsh ride, but that the Roly-Poly's are much smoother.

Other choices would be Panaracer Pasalas and the conti GP 4 season. My wife has the Pasalas in 32mm and loves them. The conti GP 4 seasons would ride much better than the Gator Skins, but they don't really measure like a true 28mm.

If it were me I would get the Roly-Poly's.

Post subject: 28 mm tires
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 pm 

Based upon what I have read the Rolly Polly's (what a terrible name) seem to recieve generally high marks and are the most consistently mentioned tire. So they are probably what I will go with.

I have read the Jack Brown's are prone to flatting. What's your experience been?

Pat Mc

BTW do you by chance have a pic of your Gunnar with these tires?

Post subject: Tires
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:00 am 

Hi Pat:

Check on page 7 of the Show your Gunnar thread, mine is the one with the Titanium/Charcoal fade.

I have had the Jack Browns since Feb or March and have had only one flat on them, finally a thorn had worked it way through. The ride is fantastic and I have bombed down many country roads on them no problem.

I am willing to trade one or two flats a year for a more supple and lighter tire, however it will be interesting to see how the tire does with more wear on it.

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:26 pm 

I can't say anything about the Riv tires, never tried them, but I can comment on GP 4 seasons. One word, suck! I have the 25c version, which measures 23, and they really aren't all that flat resistant. My preferred tire is the Specialized Armadillo, but I will admit ride quality can suffer from a very stiff sidewall. The Armadillo is kind of a set it and forget it, I've ridden them on 60 psi because I forget, or am too lazy to pump them up. Also the 26c size that I ride seems to run a tad wide. The stiff sidewalls seem to be helpful against pinch flats, where I've pinched the GP 4 seasons with 110 psi! And I was even on a paved (slightly) road!

Ride on,
Gef

Post subject: 28mm tire suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:16 pm 

Gef

Thanks for the feedback on the 4 Seasons. While initially they look attractive I havent been wild about the performance of the Gatorskins and thus I am reluctant to go with another Conti tire.

In addition to the Rolly Polly I am also looking at the Schwable Marathon Racers in a 700x30 (that is in reality smaller than 30) and the Schwable Stelvios in 700x28.

Pat Mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:34 pm 

I use to work in a bike shop; so, I could get things like tires rather cheaply. I ran Schwalbes on both the mtb and the road bike. While I found the mtb rubber to be great, I sliced open a lot of the surface rubber on the road tires. I have a lot of new Stelvio fronts sitting around since so many Stelvio backs got sliced. I have gone back to Contis. Not the best road feel, but I don't feel as much like I need to carry an extra tube AND TIRE with me. The 4000 S are said to have a better road feel, but not sure if they get wider than 25c.

Post subject: 28mm tires
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:13 pm 

I ended up orderring a set of Marathon Racers in 700x30 but customer service says the Racers really end up as a 28mm. I also was a bit hesitant on the Stelvios. The only time I had a blow out and naturally this was on a front wheel was on a Stelvio, thus I am a bit reluctant to give them another shot. I will post my experience but I really miss the Avocet's that were a real 28 mm, road well and were very flat resistant.....but they are no longer made.

Pat Mc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:12 pm 

Hi,
I am jumping on this question late. I saw the talk about the rivendell tires. Are the Ruffy Tuffy's much harsher than the Rolly Poly's? I ride mostly on crappy city streets, but I am used to crappy Perfomance GT2 kevlar tires. I am looking for something strong and comfy that can fit in sks 35mm fenders. Thanks,
Ben

Post subject: 28mm Tire Suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:55 pm 

Interesting and timely thread. I have run the Panaracer Pasela Tourguards, which had good tread life and a very good ride (and the cool retro-gumwall look), but the Achilles Heel is that the sidewalls seem fragile- susceptable to frequent sidewall nicks and cuts due to the large gravel chunks thrown up from trucks at ranges on post and construction sites around town. I subsequently ran the Specialized All-Conditions/Armadillos, which were tougher than, well, Armadillos, but rode very stiffly. The cross section did seem big for 28s. If I was going on an expedition and wanted absolute security, I'd go with these; but for my next set of tires I'm going back to something with a more supple ride. Interesting comments on the Rivendells, has anybody tried the new Panaracer Stradius Elite TGs / Tourguards?
Cheers!
Tom