Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:52 pm 

Hi there - i'm in the process of ordering a frame/fork through my local Gunnar/Waterford dealer. The guys i've been working with at the shop have been really great and I've been trying to find answers to as many of my questions as possible so i don't endlessly annoy them.

So far my important questions have been answered but the finish/paint choices are still confusing me.

I've heard/read a few different things at this point. I looked through the PPG color book at the shop and picked the "Pearl in Black (9601)." In the book it looks like a dark black with a very subtle hint of pearl in the light. I found an example of this color in the "Color of the Month Archive," and it looks much different than in the book (can't link to it, but it's from 4/30/6 on the archived colors page). Can anyone tell me if this color looks good on a finished bike? Any pictures/links of a bike in outdoor light in this color?

On the front page there's a link to the 2007 Model Overview pdf
http://www.gunnarbikes.com/gunnar2006.pdf.

In the document (p.4) it says that powder coating is available in gloss black and semi-gloss gray with no clear-coat over the decals. The guy i've been working with at the shop told me that powder-coating isn't available though.

Can anyone let me know if power-coating is available? If so what options are there. And does that Pearl in Black color look good on a finished bike, the sample pic makes it hard to tell.

As far as the decals - is there anywhere that shows the color list? We looked at a few that were on bikes they happened to have in the shop. The waterford site has a bunch of them shown, are the gunnar decals the same options?

Anyway - thanks a lot.. Since i started this project i've been trying to visualize the finished bike and getting these things sorted will help a lot!

My choice right now is this: (similar to the stock "Gunnar Black")
Pearl in Black (9601) frame/fork
Gunnar logo in grey with red-outline
No top-tube sticker

It's shaping up to ride and look great!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:07 am 
Site Admin

Pearl in Black - samples vs. reality. Though we consider our PPG color guides the best source of color information, some of the samples look a lot better (or at least different) on a frame than they do on a small plastic strip. We can tell they struggle with this because of the color disclaimers we see on the bottom of every page. Pearl in black does look lighter on a tube than it does on the page - especially in sunlight.

Powder coating: We stopped powder coating in 2007 because we could not achieve the level of finish quality from our suppliers that we could get from our wet paint finishes. We strive to improve the durabilility of our paints and make improvements every year, and we continue to seek out powder coaters who can meet our standards.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 am 

cool - thanks a lot richard! i think i had seen something else to that effect in regards to the powder-coating..

i'll take another look at the book. looks like this isn't getting easier! ;)

EDIT: I found these images on flickr - it's pearl on black according to the comments from the owner and it looks great!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tobyjoe/12 ... 407704@N25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:23 pm 

Quick question regarding the logo options (specifically the large gunnar logo on the downtube). The example that i've seen in my local shop is gray gunnar lettering with a red outline around the letters.

Are there other options to that outline color? It's really hard to tell from the 5 Gunnar colors listed on the website. From the waterford logo choices it looks like basically every combination is there, is the gunnar logo the same way (can i pick the outline color?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Gunnar currently offers three decal styles:

> Black with Silver accent
> Silver with Red accent
> Silver with Black accent

Each stock color and color and color of the month has a stock choice along with it. This makes it easy to process orders. Our stock decal for the Gunnar Yellow finish is the Black with Silver decal set.

For a special handling charge (currently $40), you can customize the decals within those colors. For example, any of our decal choices looks good on the Yellow. Plus, you can customize in other ways, such as leaving off some of the decals or choosing another position (like putting our downtube decal on the top tube).

It lets the Gunnar community get extra service when they want it while giving the providing a economy for those who like our taste. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: