Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roadie
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 pm 

Hi there,
New to this forum. I almost bought a Gunnar a few years ago, regret not having done so. In the meantime, I have purchased a Rivendell Bleriot, which left me with four bikes. I sold my fixed gear, my moutain bike and my road bike, as I only rode the Rivendell. The R bike gets me on my commute, on the easy trails through Golden Gate Park, and hauling everything from groceries to touring. I miss having a 'real' road bike...something light and quick. I went to my LBS wanting to build another roadie, and we reached the conclusion that I should have either a SOMA Smoothie ES, or a Gunnar Sport. I'm not so sure. On my last road bike, the drop from saddle to HB was 7cm. If I could have reduced that difference to maybe half that, I would have kept the bike. Hey, I'm older now, and don't like reaching that far down. The question is, can I achieve a 1 inch drop on the Gunnar Roadie? Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:04 pm 

Are you looking at the Sport or Roadie? You should be able to achieve the 1 inch drop on the Sport. It has a more relaxed geometry than the roadie. Check out the Waterford site. There is a good explanation on the different geometries used by the Waterford/Gunnar folks. Or you could do what I did and go the custom sizing route. I'm sure Dave, Richard and the rest of the group could hook you up with whatever your little heart desired. If the local shop carries Gunnar's, they should be able to tell you the basic fit you could achieve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:51 pm 

Thanks for the input. You are right...I love my LBS and I know they will do whatever it takes to make this bike the right bike for me. I was just trying to pick the brains of people who own/ride Gunnars for their experiences. My point is that I already have a 'do it all' bike...it can take fat tires, fenders, ride trails, etc. It is the only bike I currently own. I just think that, because I own a Rivendell, the folks at my LBS were giving me Rivendell-like options. I don't need/want a Rivendell-like bike; I already own a Rivendell. My past (bad) experience with my road bike was that the frame was too small, and the drop from saddle to bars was almost 8cm...I was just wondering if the Roadie, at the right size, would give me a better riding position than what I had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:11 am 

You could have them put reducers in the head tube so that you can run a one inch fork and a threaded headset and stem. My orange Sport is configured that way. I need the bars up near the saddle. There are more pictures on my web page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:38 pm 

Also, Chris King has a devolution headset so you can have a 1 1/8" headset and a 1" fork with no reducers. Quill stem is a good way to go, for the classic , uber adjustable, and it won't look too bad with a higher handlebar position.