Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frame Flex at the BB...?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:54 am 

I am interested in a Sport for a long distance, centuries or double centuries bike to provide me better climbing performance than my recumbent on which I have completed one day doubles. So finding a comfortable riding bike is my highest priority.

In looking for such a bike I had the opportunity to ride one of the new comfort performance bikes (Trek Pilot) which did noticably have less flex in the bottom bracket than the Sport. The flex was noticable in that I had no chain rub when seated and pedalling but did experience chain rub when out of the saddle on the Sport. Is this something that realistically makes a difference or in real world riding does this matter?

Thanks

Pat (another chocolate Lab owner by the way)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:46 am 
Howdy Pat,

The Sport is perfectly suited and designed for the riding you describe.

There are many variables and specifics missing from this conversation so my answer about frame stiffness will be a little general. ( for example which pilot (2.1, 5.2 etc.), what components, your weight, the frame size ridden, etc).

With regard to BB stiffness. Keep this in mind, one persons stiffness may be anothers discomfort. I would be happy to discuss your specific requirements and we certainly can do custom.

We designed the Sport to be the ultimate in a recreational road bike. Most folks who ride the Sport with the OS1 tube set find it a great balance of stiffness and ride quality to spend all day, everyday, and everywhere in the saddle. We use size specific custom tubesets to make sure those qualities are consistent through the size range. If you expect to drop the hammer into a sprint up a climb, that is not the intent of the frame. In this case the OS2 Roadie would be your choice.

However; the next Sport is in prototype. We saw an opportunity to raise the level of performance since the Roadie has seen 3 enhancements in both fit and tubing (OS1 to OS2) since the Sports inception. The Sport has lagged behind due to some technical considerations and most of our customers lack of desire to change it.

Of particular interest to you: The main enhancement will be the addition of the OS2 tube set to the Sport. This will significantly increase the BB stiffness while reducing weight. We expect to retain the Sport's ride qualities as well. More specific details will follow and the forum and site will be the first to know the minute we launch it.

Have a great day & please stay tuned!