Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sport or roadie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:59 pm 

hi everyone. heres the scoop. i am a bigger guy (190) who is new to the sport, but am fairly competitve. I do not have any tremendous desire to race much. i will do two or three wisport races this year. i am looking at riding 40 or so miles per ride and three to four days a week. group rides training rides, etc. should i go with a roadie or a sport. which rides better. what exactly is the difference? can anyone explain in laymans terms? thanks.-pc

Post subject: Sport vs Roadie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:10 am 

Porkchapes,
The Sport would suit you better than the Roadie because it is easier to ride. The Roadie is built to put the rider in a lower position (more weight on hands,back bent more)and it will have"quicker"steering(twitchy). The Sport will have a longer wheelbase(more stable) and geometry more suited to your type of riding(upright,comfy,fun).The sport also will accomidate a wider tire(more shock absorbing). Don't forget to order a Gunnar/Waterford steel fork painted to match your bike. It will ride the goodest (smooooth)! Happy Trails :P

Gunnerluver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:52 am 

pc
I put about 4,000 miles on my Sport last year. When I ordered it late, 03, I was close to tossing a coin over whether to get a Sport or Roady - I'm a 'former racing cyclist" back from nearly 30 years off the bike, and the idea of a long wheelbase framewith 'touring stuff' like rack eyes and fender mounts was kinda hard to take - extra years don't always confer wisdom ;).

However, I liked the idea of the longer wheelbase - I wasn't planning on going racing again (have gained some sense, but YMMV :) ) and the basic geo - seat and head angles - was actually similar to the last frame I bought and raced in 1970, so I went with the Sport.

From your riding description, I reckon you will love a Sport. Mine is a great ride - smooth, stable, no tantrums and you don't have to watch it all the time. Even though I'm still not seriously contemplating a return to racing, the rides I do get "somewhat hectic" at times - but I've never felt that my Sport was the reason it was hurting like h@!! and why didn't I get a Roady instead - praise indeed for a 'relaxed' frameset.

I treat myself and sprung for a custom paint job - it's not all that different - red rear triangle and ST, faded into yellow front, with red fork. But it sure garners a lot of good comments!

Idle thought - I ran mine on a triple Ultegra last year. Since swapped it to a double as I can't abide unnecessary stuff on a bike, but the longer chainstays seemed to make the triple a better bet than it would be on a short back end - the chain doesn't have to assume great angles on longers stays. If I lived somewhere really hilly, I'd surely feel different about the triple though!

Despite all that, I still want a Roady - but 'as well as' not 'instead of' ! Purple rear fading into cream front sounds nice ...

Regards

Dereck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:40 pm 

thanks. now what exactly are seat angle, rake, etc? does it just relate to rider position? also when a bike is said to be fast is it again due to the position, i.e. aero does length make a difference. and are the tubes the same? sloping? thanks again everyone. -pc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:32 pm 

Pc
Seat angle decides where your body is in relation to the pedals and rear wheel. Seat angle is most important to your pedaling(foot and leg position over pedal). As far as the rear wheel, seat angle can affect traction when climbing and standing. Rake is how far the dropouts(those things you clamp your wheel in) stick out in front of the rest of your fork. Rake is only a part of the handleling equation. To me,when someone says the bike is fast,they mean it has crisp pedal response and has very quick steering(twitchy)i.e flat back and in the drops a lot. Tubes are the same. Sloping top tubes may mean lighter frames but more seatpost sticking out(flexy feeling during hard seated efforts...maybe). Its mostly a "looks" thing for 99% of us. The folks at Gunnar will be sure to steer you in the right direction on fit. Fit is where it's at. There is no subsitute for fit...never ever ever! Happy trails

gunnerluver