Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:40 pm 

Check out the Milwaukee Cycle company's new "messenger bike" It's a Street Dog!

http://velonews.com/news/fea/7323.0.html
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel - January 1, 2005
Local bike shop launches homegrown model
At first glance, the name Milwaukee Cycle conjures up images of Harley-Davidson motorcycles. But Ben's Cycle and Fitness has created Milwaukee's very own bicycle, a single-speed road machine that's lightweight, fast and similar to the bikes that bicycle messengers ride.

And the New Zion's from Jenson USA -
Can you say Rock Hound!! I'm not sure about this one - Anyone know?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=FR606A01

Anyway - Happy New Year All! I'm ahead on my goal to ride my bike more miles than I drive my car in all of 2005. 110 (bike) to 20 (as of Jan 2nd)

C YA!

"Somewhere there's a nice, sunny place with warm breezes and shady palms where all the second-place guys train."
Bob Kennedy
USA Record Holder, 3000 and 5000 Meter Runs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:43 am 

Well, every time I tried the Milawukee link, I got an invite to leave all my personal details up to gran's inside seam and receive more junkmail than AOL gets!

Seems the wheel isn't the only circle in cycle building though - and I bet Richard S will back me up on this.

Last time I was in cycling - early 70's, and somewhat more seriously than I am now (though my wife might dispute that claim ;) ), a fair amount of frame building in my native England was done by LBS owners who built frames in the back of their shop. Even the "big" builders were on the lines of Waterford / Gunnar, or even smaller. They are a lot thinner on the ground now, unfortunately, as those builders have peddled off to the Great VeloDrome in the Sky, but there's still a few around.

Funnily enough, Bob Jackson Cycles in England is still there, and their frame line has one model that I know for sure was around in the 60's and 70's - I rode one back then!

Despite whatever GianTreKannodale do, custom shops comprising a few - sometimes one (AKA Richard Sachs) dedicated builder(s) will never go away. There'll always be folk who want their colour scheme, not some business suit's '05 colour scheme.

Another prediction is that while marketing weenies will carry on making frames from anything new they can find, plus New! Exciting! combinations of every not-quite-so-new material they 'invented' in the last couple of years, some of us will carry right on riding steel tubed frames.

Pereferably lugged ...

Anyone for a lugged Gunnar?

Miles in car so far this year - around 20. Mikes on bike - 42.5

Happy New Year to all Gunnar Grinders
Dereck

Post subject: "off brand" waterfords
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:28 pm 

wouldn't a lugged Gunnar be a Waterford :D ?

Waterford also makes lovely lugged frames for Heron http://www.heronbicycles.com/ .

I've been riding my touring model a lot since '99, and expect to do so for many years to come (rode it to work this morning, even). It's one of the older ones with horizontal dropouts, and I've retrofitted it with a Rohloff speedhub. With 700x35s on it, it's great for any terrain short of really scary singletrack.

I think a Gunnar Grosshairs or Rock Tour would also be great for this type of universal bike.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:25 pm 

wuzzlewoozle wrote:
wouldn't a lugged Gunnar be a Waterford :D ?

I think a Gunnar Grosshairs or Rock Tour would also be great for this type of universal bike.

Well, a present model Gunnar is awful close to a Waterford 14 with stock geo and a seatpost collar vice brazed / welded seatpost clamp lugs. Okay, those WF stainless dropouts are real nice too - the equivalent in days gone by was chrome plated dropouts - or even chromed fork blades, seat/chain stays.

Be interesting to see what the cost of a 'stock' GunnarFord (???) would look like. Not wishing to sound disloyal, but there are decently priced and none too shabby lugged steel frames around in the world stiff - Bob Jackson and Gios spring lightly to mind here.

Funnily enough, when I started back into cycling, I had ideas of that sort of heavier duty bike - lower gearing, wider tyres etc, what we'd have called a touring bike in the 70s. Now am fitting my Sport with a double vs triple ring CS and Mavic Ksyriums.

Seems despite that I've hit an age where I should be riding something with V brakes and a Sugino 110mm triple, I really should have just bought something that would be real at home in a criterium instead. Suspect there's a "Roadie" in my future, though it would probably have a custom paint job of some sort ...

My wife thinks I may grow up one day!

Regards

Dereck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:35 pm 

for 350 bucks, it's a heck of a deal. I cant believe that the quality of the frame is as good as a Street Dog though. Can anyone tell me if Im wrong? I need a fixie to mate with my Ruffian!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:20 am 
The Milwaukee Bikes are a great deal and a cool ride! Geometries are similar. The Street Dog is a full Custom True Temper OX Platinum Air-Hardening steel frame. The Milwaukee Bike is primarily True Temper Verus double butted chromoly and a powder coat finish. Hence the price difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:16 pm 

Ya buy the Gunnar for the better steel. I've been riding a street dog for 3yrs now, and worked on it as a messenger in D.C. for a year. 3 good bang ups with cars, and I have still have a perfectly straight frame, and the wheels are pretty tough aswell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:49 pm 

Ya buy the Gunnar for the better steel. I've been riding a street dog for 3yrs now, and worked on it as a messenger in D.C. for a year. 3 good bang ups with cars, and I have still have a perfectly straight frame, and the wheels are pretty tough aswell