Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:06 pm 

Have test ridden some Gunnars and really liked the ride - I'm considering building a new bike for commuting and fast club rides.

Call me retro but I really don't like the threadless look - I much prefer the aesthetics of the traditional quill stem etc.. (FWIW - Not sure I care much for the look of the compact frames either - however I can probably live with a semi compact)

However I am interested in taking advantage of the new compact cranks options - we have some major hills here in the SF bay area. So here's what I'd like to build:

- Roadie or Sport Frame (56 cm)
- All Silver Compact Crank/Bars/Seatpost/Stem
- Threaded fork + quill type stem
- Campy Ergo Shifters (Centaur or Chorus)
- Open Pro Rims + Campy Hubs

And no - I'd prefer not to pay for custom upcharges on this as a 56/56 frame fits me pretty well.

In the era of 1 1/8 headtubes is a threaded fork still an option?Is this possible - any comments/alternative suggestions?

BTW - If anyone has a 56 cm roadie with non compact style frame for sale, let me know.

OK - I'll get off my soap box now!

I'd appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Post subject: Sport
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:26 pm 

Buy the sport. It is perfect for what you need it for. Remember that you need to get LONG REACH brakes for the sport. The threaded thing is gonna' cause you a little trouble. I would go with the 1 1/8" fork. A lot more stem options to choose from. What color are ya gonna get? I've seen a Sport in the dark purple they have in the color of the month. Looks real good. Have fun!

gunnerluver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:25 am 

I agree, get the Sport. I recently bought a NOS 04 Sport frame (with the 1" threadless fork) that I am building up. I'm trying to keep everything silver - I think it will look nicer with the sunset red over fine gold color (I think that what it is anyway). I've got the Centaur CT group (all silver) with the silver alloy crank. It looks real nice. But, believe me it is hard to find silver threadless stems and silver handlebars! I've got a Kalloy Uno stem now but it's kind of ugly. I got a TTT Morphe silver handlebar off ebay that has the double grooves that (in my opinion) cleans up the Campy cables. The Centaur group includes a nice silver alloy seatpost (I haven't got it - yet). I'm using the Tektro 521AG brakes. They are actually quite nice looking. Campy doesn't make a long reach brake right now.

I agree with you that the old quill stems have a nice look. I think the folks at Gunnar can build you a threaded fork (http://www.gunnarbikes.com/board/viewto ... eaded+fork). that could be fitted to a stock frame. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:06 am 

Yep, the Sport is what you need. I have an '05, and I built it duplicating the Rivenell Rambouillet build kit, except with a threadless stem. I did manage to find a silver threadless by Oval Concepts---matches the silver seatpost, and silver Sugino crank. It's an excellent bike, and looks really nice with fenders and a rack.

Post subject: SPORT
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:39 pm 

Hi,

I chose a Sport in Orange with silver components. I picked the Sport for the ability to fit larger tires due to the poor pavement and dirt roads around here. You can get a steel fork with a 1" steerer and put a reducer in the head tube. I got my frame from Yellow Jersey(http://www.yellowjersey.org), a very knowledgeable dealer.

There are more pictures in my album at http://homepage.mac.com/macher/PhotoAlbum79.html