Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:12 pm 

I've had a Steelman Eurocross with a steel Steelman fork. A couple years ago, I briefly tried a WoundUp carbon fork and it destroyed the otherwise perfect handling. After a quick visual comparison of the forks, I discovered the WoundUp was about 1cm-1in longer than the Steelman fork. The Steelman also had a 42mm rake and the WoundUp a 45mm rake. I put the steelman fork back on and sold the WoundUp.

On the CrossHairs geometry page, it shows that the fork rake for a 58cm frame is also 42mm with a 383mm axle to crown distance. The popular carbon cross forks (namely Winwood) show that they have a 45mm rake and a axle to crown measurement of 390-395mm. Logic would tell me that switching from the Gunnar fork to the carbon would cause a repeat of the same problem.

Has anyone tried swapping forks from steel to carbon on a CrossHairs? Did the handling change? Were there any issues? Success?

Thanks, mistermo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:37 pm 
Hello mistermo,

A lot could be going on here beyond the scope of a purely fork related issue. However; if we assume the Steelman is built to spec and there is a reasonable trail designed in, it's hard to imagine the change being that dramatic. The extra height is laying the frame back, increasing trail, and the additional rake is decreasing trail: should be almost a wash.

We have seen a number of Alpha Q CX and Winwwood equipped Crosshairs with no degradation in handling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:58 pm 

http://www.bcf.uk.com/gallery/2005/phil ... ite/26.htm

Hi mistermo,

Running Wound Ups with no apparent adverse handling effects. Very predictable, no flutter, one of the better handling bikes in the quiver.
Link to image above.

Oh and they look jolly nice too.

Richard
(UK correspondent)