Gunnar Cycles USA Message Board

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosshair
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:28 pm 

I'm looking at building a cross bike. I've read that the Gunnar frames have some problems with flaking or easily chippable paint. Can someone confirm/deny this for me. I do expect to race this bike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:04 pm 
Hello inghammer,

Thanks for the question. I can both confirm and deny...but seriously:

First, you should have no issues with your paint. Gunnar paint jobs are designed to be durable. That being said, proper paint care and maintenance are your important part of making sure that remains the case. We will be addressing proper care of the finish of your Gunnar in the near future. Obviously, exposing the frame to flying debris, crashes, etc, will expose the paint to the same potential for damage as you can find on the hood of a Mercedes in the same environment.

Second, in spite of all the controls, sometimes things can happen in manufacturing ( i.e someone grabbed a prepped frame with bare hands or in a worst case (some time ago) our chemical vendor served us an improper mix for the frame bath that created some issues. This is why we have a two year warranty on the finish. Our paint technicians can easily evaluate and detect whether there is a flaking/adhesion problem, etc, or something acted upon the frame. In some rare instances, we have warranteed up to 7 year paint jobs based on their evaluation.

Bottom line: If it is our bad, it is taken care of. Simple as that. If it is questionable we will work with you to find an amiable solution. We want happy and satisfied riders for our bikes. Unfortunately, some folks choose to act without integrity or accountability-for that we cannot warranty.

Ride on

Post subject: paint
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 3:12 pm 

Thanks for the reply Dave. I'm 100% satisified with your answer. Hopefully I wont be crashing too much, I'd rather be winning :)